Monday, August 17, 2009

Movies: A Cheat Sheet

Hey ya'll. In our class with Maureen on Saturday, she had suggested we use this to discuss some "Pop Culture" movies, books, music, etc., to make sure our teammates (and selves) are not blindsided with suggestions we are unfamiliar with. Because we can't all watch the movies we would like, I thought about making a Cheat Sheet of movies we are likely to get as suggestions, and what should be known about each of them to help make a scene passable. I will start one about some of the movies I think we should know for now, with possibly a TV one to follow. I would appreciate it if people could add, especially to the movie one with current releases, as being a father of a 2-year-old has prevented me from seeing anything since 2007. My picks and hints are:


1.) Star Wars. If you have not seen at least the original trilogy, you should take a sabbatical from Improv until you watch them, mimmick them, and work on your: Darth Vader breathing; Chewbacca yelling; Yoda's syntax-changing verbal skills; and your lightsaber sound effects.


2.) Titanic. It's a long movie, yes. But watch it, even if in fast-forward, and get down: the whole "King of the World" moment at the hull of the boat (overdone, but good for a cheap laugh); an English-accent "Iceberg! Right ahead!"; sweaty sex in a fogged-up Model T; the string quartet "Gentlemen, it's been an honor playing with you tonight"; and the "Never let go" speech at the end. I'd also throw in the line, "I want you to draw me in this... and only this."


3.) The Princess Bride. I don't think I've ever heard this called out as a suggestion, except for the one time I did before I was in a troupe. Some great lines that you need to know to pull this off are: "I'm not left handed" (during a sword fight); "Anybody want a peanut?"; and "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." Actually, I just think everyone should see this movie; it is one of my favorites.

4.) E.T. If I were to get this, I would pretend I had a gun and wonder aloud why I was trying to shoot someone with a walkie-talkie (an unneccesary change Spielberg made in the re-release, and probably a joke 1/3 of the audience would get, on a good night.) But the bigs ones are E.T. saying, "Phone Home," "Ouch", and "Be Good." Use your scariest voice and point your finger. And mention Reese's Pieces, too.

5.) Forrest Gump. Your best Southern-accent, with a little extra "da-hoo!" twang thrown in. "Life is like a box of chocolates...", "Stupid is as stupid does...", "Run, Forrest, Run!" I'd probably jut out my lower lip and do Bubba's "Shrimp has a million uses..." speech. So don't steal it.

I'll add more as they come. Please add some of the superhero (Spider-Man, Transformers, Batman), Sci Fi (The Matrix, Star Trek), and Fantasy (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Carribean) if you can, and any classics I haven't added (The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, etc.) Thank you for your support and cooperation.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This all sounds like an elaborate plan for you to do a sweaty sex in a fogged up Model T scene. I further note there was an add on the right hand side of the screen for Trojan Ecstasy, confirming my suspicion you perv.

Hey, I think this is my first post of this run.

Wooly House said...

Just for that, you will not be in the sweaty-Model T sex scene, Wells. I hope you're satisfied with yourself.

Jeff said...

The Godfather

"I am going to make him an offer he cannot refuse."

"I want you to arrange a meeting with the heads of the Five Families. This war stops now."

The horse's head in the bed. Though it might be better to reference something in the scene rather than a horse's head.

Two cops met with Michael (Pacino) in an Italian restaurant. A gun was planted for Michael in the bathroom. He executed both cops after excusing himself to use the bathroom.

Sadly, I am a bit rusty on this movie - have not seen it in about ten years. I have the DVD, and if there is interest I could arrange a showing at my place.

Pulp Fiction - Where to start with this one? :)

"Did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said Dead [blank] Storage?"
"No. I didn't."
"You know WHY you didn't see that sign?"
"Why?"
"'Cause it ain't there, 'cause storing dead [blanks] ain't my fucking business, that's why!"
If you can use something from your scene in place of the [blank] in the above exchange, the audience will be delighted - yes, delighted. :) Not only will they like it, but for those who have not scene the movie, [blank] was the mother of all racist terms.

Discuss the importance of giving a woman a foot massage. One party said it was sensual, the other party said a foot massage meant nothing.

"I love you, Pumpkin."
"I love you, Honey Bunny."
Two star-crossed characters say this to each other. Trust me, this would work as an excellent capper; those in the audience who have seen it would, again, be delighted.

Uma Thurman's character overdosed on heroin by snorting it, and then John Travolta had to revive her by injecting her with adrenaline right into her heart. Again, a female overdosing on something already established in the scene would work wonders here.

A watch with some personal significance was handed down to Bruce Willis' character. The watch belonged to his dad, who fought in Vietnam (presumably). The watch was given to a third party (Christopher Walken) who later gave it to Willis as a young boy. The thing about the watch was that it was hidden up Willis' father's ass as well as Walken's character's ass while they were POWs. Using something from the scene other than the watch would be helpful, though admittedly you are treading on dangerous ground referencing this scene in our shows.

There are sooooooooooooo many things you could glean from Pulp Fiction that it would be worth sitting down to watch in its entirety. Hell, when it came out, I saw it three (3) times in the theaters in one (1) week!

Jeff said...

Apocalypse Now

(whispered) "The horror...the horror..."

"I love the smell of [blank] in the morning. It smells like...victory".
Again, filling in the [blank] with something from the scene will work wonders for this suggestion. In the movie the [blank] was napalm.

Em said...

Perhaps we should have movie night. All I know about The Godfather came from You've Got Mail. Speaking of Tom Hanks-Joe Versus the Volcano is a must see. We should all know that there are people called the Waponi Woo who worship orange soda and want Tom Hanks to jump in a volcano. Call me crazy, but I may be experiencing a "brain cloud."

Wooly House said...

I sign over to you, Emily, ownership of my daughter the first time I hear someone yell out "Joe Vs. The Volcano" as a film suggestion.

And any and all lines from that movie must come from Abe Vagoda.

Waponi Chief: Do you want to marry him?
Patricia: Yes.
Waponi Chief: Do you want to marry her?
Joe Banks: Yes.
Waponi Chief: Good. You're married.

Em said...

Movies that I wish people would suggest more:
Killer Clowns From Outer Space
Flight of the Navigator
Davy Crockett
Splash
Mannequin

Em said...

Wooly,
I'll take your daughter and raise ya a case of orange soda!
Emily

Wooly House said...

Orange Crush? Because then you are on.

"In space, no one can eat ice cream!"